Red Hat employees begin move to downtown
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- Dozens of Red Hat employees got their first taste of working in downtown Raleigh Monday as the first wave of workers moved into the company's new headquarters.
It's not the biggest move -- only about 3-1/2 miles from Red Hat's old address at N.C. State's Centennial Campus to its new digs downtown-- but city officials think the move could be huge for Raleigh's image.
The open-source software company is taking over all 19 floors of the high-rise that formerly housed Progress Energy.
One hundred employees moved in Monday, but over the next 10 months, as many as 900 more employees will be making the move.
The city is excited about the demographic of this new downtown workforce -- 20 and 30 somethings with above average salaries, and lots of disposable income.
"Our demographic is very young," said Red Hat's Craig Youst. "So, Red Hat associates love being downtown with all the energy. They want to experience some of the energy and life that downtown has to offer. We're thrilled to be here."
Red Hat was lured to downtown with over $15 million in city, county and state grants and tax incentives.
Officials see the move as a potential game changer in attracting similar companies to the city not to mention new retail opportunities downtown with a suddenly much younger work-force.
wake county, redhat, local/state, joel brown
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her 5 min ago
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg 36 min ago
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged 35 min ago
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Community comes together to fight for Maddison 2 min ago
- Arrest warrants issued in Gates Four shooting
- Former sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Jeopardy! Clue Crew visits Raleigh
- ACC tournament to move to New York?
- Quiznos files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection
- Community comes together to fight for...
2 min ago
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape...
5 min ago
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to...
24 min ago