Lightning sparks local fires
APEX, N.C. (WTVD) -- Firefighters said lightning was to blame for a fire at an Apex home Monday evening.
When firefighters arrived at the home on Hoboken Court, the attic was fully involved.
Gerry Tarabokia and his wife were inside their home, watching television when they heard a loud crack.
Gerry said all the lights went out, the television shut down, and they didn't think anything of it until his wife smelled smoke upstairs. That's when things quickly went from bad to worse.
"I went upstairs, pulled down the staircase in the closet of our room and saw about five or six feet of flames," said Gerry. "And said we've got to get out of here."
This is the third time this family has dealt with the aftermath of a lightning strike.
They are just glad they made it out unharmed. They are also happy their daughter's two cats were not hurt.
The family has hired a restoration company that has been busy trying to salvage what they can.
Eyewitnesses also said lighting sparked a fire that gutted a home in Holly Springs and damaged two neighboring houses.
It appeared as though the fire started in the rear of the first home on Gooseberry Drive and spread to the other homes.
No one was injured in either incident.
wake county, fire, local/state
- Police issue warning about Huerta vigil 42 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- NCCU new head football coach named 12 min ago
- Camp director facing child porn charges 2 min ago
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse 37 min ago
- Could Becoats' future be in jeopardy? 51 min ago
- Target investigating credit card breach
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC 23 min ago
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed 16 min ago
- Panthers 1 win from ending playoff drought
- Lawyer details new evidence in Ackerson murder 46 min ago
- Man charged with attempted murder, arson
- Could Becoats' future be in jeopardy?
50 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help