Lightning sparks local fires
APEX, N.C. (WTVD) -- Firefighters said lightning was to blame for a fire at an Apex home Monday evening.
When firefighters arrived at the home on Hoboken Court, the attic was fully involved.
Gerry Tarabokia and his wife were inside their home, watching television when they heard a loud crack.
Gerry said all the lights went out, the television shut down, and they didn't think anything of it until his wife smelled smoke upstairs. That's when things quickly went from bad to worse.
"I went upstairs, pulled down the staircase in the closet of our room and saw about five or six feet of flames," said Gerry. "And said we've got to get out of here."
This is the third time this family has dealt with the aftermath of a lightning strike.
They are just glad they made it out unharmed. They are also happy their daughter's two cats were not hurt.
The family has hired a restoration company that has been busy trying to salvage what they can.
Eyewitnesses also said lighting sparked a fire that gutted a home in Holly Springs and damaged two neighboring houses.
It appeared as though the fire started in the rear of the first home on Gooseberry Drive and spread to the other homes.
No one was injured in either incident.
wake county, fire, local/state
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Duke stays close to home as No. 3 seed
- Tar Heels draw Providence in NCAA opener
- Iowa State ready to face North Carolina Central
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos