Laurinburg soldier injured in Afghanistan
LAURINBURG, N.C. (WTVD) -- A soldier from Scotland County has been injured while serving in Afghanistan.
T.J. Ivey Jr. is a 25-year-old from Laurinburg and is currently on his third tour of duty with the 173rd Airborne. Ivey was hit by sniper fire Tuesday and wounded in his hip, according to his family.
The family said they have received an outpouring of support from the community since hearing the news in two different phone calls earlier today.
"First one was total devastation, not knowing if he was okay or not. Just shock," T.J.'s mom, Lisa Sellers said. "The second call was T.J. saying he was okay."
Ivey has been taken to Germany for treatment.
scotland county, local/state, greg barnes
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash 31 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 26 min ago
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic 40 min ago
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Man trapped in empty dark plane cabin at Houston airport
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help