Durham officer injured in I-85 crash
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A Durham police officer remains hospitalized after a crash on Interstate 85 Wednesday.
It happened while the officer was making a traffic stop on the shoulder near Cole Mill Road.
Police said a tractor trailer rear-ended the unmarked police cruiser, which moments earlier had pulled over another vehicle.
Eyewitnesses reported that the tractor trailer swerved before striking the cruiser, spinning it out of its path. The impact trapped the female officer inside her vehicle.
Police said paramedics rushed the officer, who they haven't identified, to Duke Hospital where she was last listed in critical but stable condition.
The driver of the car which was pulled over by the officer was taken to Duke Hospital and later released.
The truck's driver remains at Duke Hospital. ABC11 has learned that he will be charged with driving while impaired, stemming from drug use.
Traffic on southbound I-85 was blocked for several hours.
durham county, accident, local/state, fred shropshire
- Drug bust at home owned by UNC's Roy Williams
- Brisk sales raise Mega Millions jackpot to $425M
- Burning of ex-racer Mayfield's NC home canceled 10 min ago
- Dog helps Alaska woman survive 3 nights in cold
- Cary mom faces sex charges 38 min ago
- One man killed, another injured in shooting 59 min ago
- Changes coming to Fort Bragg entry system 25 min ago
- Social media fuels school threat concerns
- Deputies raid Durham sweepstakes cafe
- Robbery suspect uses box as disguise
- Durham Freeway reopened following closure
- Thousands of Ft. Bragg soliders to deploy to Afghanistan
- Florida orphan spending Christmas with prospective family 36 min ago
- Raleigh house damaged in fire
- Sheriff: Colo. school shooter wounds 2,...
2 min ago
- ABC11 viewer saves Christmas for 1,000s of...
7 min ago
- Money Saver: Friday freebies
23 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help