Durham officer injured in I-85 crash
DURHAM (WTVD) -- A Durham police officer remains hospitalized after a crash on Interstate 85 Wednesday.
It happened while the officer was making a traffic stop on the shoulder near Cole Mill Road.
Police said a tractor trailer rear-ended the unmarked police cruiser, which moments earlier had pulled over another vehicle.
Eyewitnesses reported that the tractor trailer swerved before striking the cruiser, spinning it out of its path. The impact trapped the female officer inside her vehicle.
Police said paramedics rushed the officer, who they haven't identified, to Duke Hospital where she was last listed in critical but stable condition.
The driver of the car which was pulled over by the officer was taken to Duke Hospital and later released.
The truck's driver remains at Duke Hospital. ABC11 has learned that he will be charged with driving while impaired, stemming from drug use.
Traffic on southbound I-85 was blocked for several hours.
durham county, accident, local/state, fred shropshire
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help