Dunn cemetery targeted by vandals
DUNN, N.C. (WTVD) -- Vandals have overturned and destroyed headstones at a Dunn cemetery.
In a garden of peace and honor, Greenwood Cemetery caretaker Angelo McLean can't understand acts of senseless destruction.
"You know it shouldn't happen," said McLean. "Something like that shouldn't happen."
Greenwood Cemetery is one of Dunn's oldest and most historic graveyards.
McLean said vandals struck three times last week. They damaged or destroyed more than dozen headstones and markers -- some dating back to the 1800s
Many of the stones were tipped over. Others were broken.
McLean said a number of the headstones have been fixed, but others, he believed, are beyond repair and replacements could expensive. He suspects the vandals are teenagers.
"It's kids, but it's got to be kids strong enough to do it so," said McLean. "You're talking kids in the range of 16 and up. They would have to be pretty strong to do it."
McLean suspects the young vandals are congregating around a gazebo after dark, when the cemetery is closed and supposed to be off limits. He said Dunn police now patrol the cemetery more frequently between dusk and dawn.
This is not the first time vandals have damaged headstones at Greenwood Cemetery. Then, as now, McLean said workers will try and put the pieces back together, and restore as best they can, the honor and memory of those who rest in peace here.
harnett county, local/state, greg barnes
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help