Robeson County man dies after being Tasered
PARKTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- A man in Robeson County died Friday morning after getting shocked with a Taser after an incident at a convenience store.
The incident began about 7:30 a.m. at the Kwik Shop Discount Tobacco and Grocery Store on U.S. Highway 301.
Witnesses said the victim's name is George McEachin. He lived in the Green Manor Rest Home, which is about a quarter mile from the store on Parkton Tobemory Road.
According to eyewitnesses, McEachin came into the store and started throwing drinks. They said he then went outside and had confrontations with a customer and a man who was refilling the gas tanks.
When officers caught up to McEachin, he was back at the rest home. That's when they used their Taser to get McEachin under control.
It is unclear if he died at the scene or at the hospital.
People who know McEachin said he was normally a nice guy, who sometimes pumped gas for customers at the station.
McEachin was allegedly on medication for mental problems.
It will be up to the medical examiner to determine the exact cause of death.
The SBI is investigating.
robeson county, local/state, gilbert baez
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- NC NAACP calls for June 3 rally for next protest
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- 5.7-magnitude quake widely felt across N. Calif.
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- McNeill found guilty of first-degree murder
- Father sought after baby found with burns
- Man charged in girlfriend's stabbing death 55 min ago
- Gray seal spending time on NC beaches
- Charlotte mom has son jailed for stealing Pop Tarts
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys