Lanes reopen following multi-vehicle crash on I-95
SELMA, N.C. (WTVD) -- The southbound lanes of I-95 in Johnston County were closed for several hours after at least four vehicles collided Wednesday morning.
The State Highway Patrol was notified just before 11 a.m. about a tractor trailers and two cars colliding near mile marker 97 at U.S. Highway 70 in Selma.
Images from Chopper11 HD showed skid marks along the road and an overturned truck blocking the two southbound lanes.
The State Highway Patrol identified the driver of the overturned truck as 50-year-old Barry Martin. They said he was carrying parachutes in his truck and was heading to Fort Bragg.
ABC11 has learned that Martin was allegedly reaching down to pick some Lifesavers candy when he ran into a Jeep.
Martin was cited for failure to reduce speed and failure to wear a seatbelt. He was treated and released from the hospital.
A gold Jeep could be seen under a road sign in the grassy median and had its roof torn off, while a black sedan with significant front and rear-end damage was stopped in the roadway.
Troopers identified the driver of the Jeep as Brittany Liles, of Pine Level. She was taken to WakeMed with non-life threatening injuries.
Two others were involved in the crash and not injured.
Authorities said traffic was slowing down at the time of the accident due to construction.
accident, i95, johnston county, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 11 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63 26 min ago
- NCCU new head football coach named 13 min ago
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- NCCU new head football coach named
12 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help