Family of Taser death victim blames rest home
ROBESON COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- A Parkton family isn't blaming the Robeson County Sheriff's Department for their loved one's death following a Taser shock by deputies.
Instead, they blame rest home where 48-year-old George McEachin was staying.
The Parkton community is mourning the death of a man known as Scooby. McEachin lived at the Green Manor Rest Home near Parkton.
Family members say he was on medication for mental illness.
"I just think he was off his medicine and some people must have been harassing him and picking at him because he is not a violent person," said Jonathan McEachin
Surveillance video showed George McEachin's encounter with lawmen Friday in a violent rage. He hit a man in the head with a log outside of a convenience store then went inside and tossed items off a counter and got into a fight with customer.
He died after Robeson County Sheriff deputies shot him with a Taser outside the Green Manor Rest Home where he lived.
"When I saw the video, I knew then he wasn't on him medication, and the thing that gets me is he started acting out two or three days before the incident and the rest home done nothing," said McEachin's sister, Roberta Evans.
The rest home has been in business for about 40 years. In January, its license was renewed but ABC11 has learned that in June that license was downgraded to a provisional license because of deficiencies found by state inspectors.
The rest home's rating has dropped during the past three years and it has been cited in the past for not properly giving medicine to its residents. Family members believe that's the reason their loved one died.
"They had the power and authority then to send him out for a mental evaluation and they did nothing," said Evans. "So again, to me this could have been avoided."
The state has spent the past three days inspecting the rest home.
ABC11 reached out to the Green Manor Rest Home and they declined to comment.
robeson county, local/state, gilbert baez
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- No. 7 Duke escapes against Clemson, 63-62
- NC State upsets Syracuse 66-63
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75