Candlelight vigil held for man killed in 2010
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A candlelight vigil was held Friday evening to reignite interest in a cold case.
More than two dozen people gathered in Southeast Raleigh where Ezekiel Crowder took his last breath.
Two years ago, he was gunned down on Hay Lane while sitting on his porch and police still haven't made an arrest.
"Not knowing who did it and is weighing out has put a lot of weight on the family," said Crowder's cousin, Arlene Sanders.
"Everybody was saying what was he doing on Hay Street because they know he didn't usually hang over here," said Crowder's grandmother, Pearlie Satawhite.
A bullet injured one man on the porch while five hit Crowder.
"He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. So, he wasn't no bad person," said Satawhite.
About 30 friends and relatives at the vigil, including his three kids -- two young boys and a 13-year-old daughter -- told stories of his bubbly personality.
"You couldn't help but like him," said Sanders. "I mean, he had that kind of personality."
They said Crowder was the life of the party. After graduating from Enloe, he joined the Army. The irony is that he survived a tour in Afghanistan, but was killed just steps away from office buildings in downtown Raleigh.
"By the strength of God, you know that's what's been keeping me together," said Crowder's mother, Wanda Bennerman.
Bennerman said detectives told her they have a suspect in mind but that they need more evidence -- in this case, more witnesses to strengthen the prosecution.
"Just come and tell what really happened," said Bennerman. "So, you know, we can go ahead and have some closure in this case."
Anyone with information should call the Raleigh Police Department or Crime Stoppers.
wake county, shooting, raleigh police, local/state, fred shropshire
- Police investigate shooting death as homicide 25 min ago
- FDA to regulate e-cigarettes
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Dogwood Festival ready for weather, crowds
- Mother claims daughter assaulted on field trip
- 11 kids, driver hurt in Calif. school bus crash
- I-Team: Babies not getting care due to backlog
- I-Team: Mom warns of shopping cart danger
- Public memorial service set for Danielle Locklear
- Local roofer banned from taking money up front
- New Georgia law makes it legal to carry weapons into bars,...
- Video: Historic NCSU building set for demolition
- Video: Bruce Springsteen fans gather for PNC Arena...