Candlelight vigil held for man killed in 2010
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A candlelight vigil was held Friday evening to reignite interest in a cold case.
More than two dozen people gathered in Southeast Raleigh where Ezekiel Crowder took his last breath.
Two years ago, he was gunned down on Hay Lane while sitting on his porch and police still haven't made an arrest.
"Not knowing who did it and is weighing out has put a lot of weight on the family," said Crowder's cousin, Arlene Sanders.
"Everybody was saying what was he doing on Hay Street because they know he didn't usually hang over here," said Crowder's grandmother, Pearlie Satawhite.
A bullet injured one man on the porch while five hit Crowder.
"He was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. So, he wasn't no bad person," said Satawhite.
About 30 friends and relatives at the vigil, including his three kids -- two young boys and a 13-year-old daughter -- told stories of his bubbly personality.
"You couldn't help but like him," said Sanders. "I mean, he had that kind of personality."
They said Crowder was the life of the party. After graduating from Enloe, he joined the Army. The irony is that he survived a tour in Afghanistan, but was killed just steps away from office buildings in downtown Raleigh.
"By the strength of God, you know that's what's been keeping me together," said Crowder's mother, Wanda Bennerman.
Bennerman said detectives told her they have a suspect in mind but that they need more evidence -- in this case, more witnesses to strengthen the prosecution.
"Just come and tell what really happened," said Bennerman. "So, you know, we can go ahead and have some closure in this case."
Anyone with information should call the Raleigh Police Department or Crime Stoppers.
wake county, shooting, raleigh police, local/state, fred shropshire
- Widow's wedding bands stolen in Hope Mills
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Manhunt for suspects in deadly luxury mall carjacking
- Police seek help solving double murder
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Multiple county chase ends in Durham
- Sheriff: School gunman planned to attack 5 spots
- Naked man spotted near Raleigh school
- Private ferry runs aground, injures 14
- Durham murder victim identified
- Blind man, guide dog safe after subway track fall
- Fair ride operator, owner formally indicted
- DOT looking at all 540 project paths
- NC photographer helps shelter dogs find a home
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help