Man charged in pizza delivery man's beating
RAEFORD, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Hoke County Sheriff's Office said Tuesday that a driver for Domino's Pizza required brain surgery after a robbery and severe beating.
Sheriff Hubert A. Peterkin said a pizza restaurant on Fayetteville Road in Raeford got an internet order August 3 from an address in the 1600 block of O'Bannon Drive and driver 19-year-old Tyler Lloyd, of Raeford, was sent to deliver it.
Investigators said when Lloyd arrived, he was approached by two men who did not have money to pay for the pizza. When Lloyd tried to return to his vehicle, the men allegedly began beating and robbing him.
When Lloyd didn't return from the delivery, coworkers became concerned and contacted law enforcement. Deputies found him in his car on Clan Campbell Drive.
The sheriff said Lloyd is a very lucky man.
"There is no doubt in our minds that he was going to be left for dead," said Peterkin. "The timing could not have been better to find him because he was in bad shape."
Over the weekend, Tyler's dad posted on his Facebook page that his son had a fractured skull, collapse lung, and underwent surgery to relieve pressure on his brain.
Tuesday, the news was much more encouraging. Tyler' dad posted that his son walked down a hospital corridor and took a shower. His surgeon pleased with his progress.
Tuesday morning, authorities arrested 30-year-old Juan Foronte McPhaul, of Raeford, while he was walking down Wayside Road. McPhaul is currently being held on $500,000 bond. He's being charged with attempted first degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon, robbery with a dangerous weapon, and conspiracy to commit robbery with a dangerous weapon.
The sheriff's office said more arrests are expected.
The sheriff has ordered his deputies on patrol to shadow pizza delivery drivers for extra safety.
Lloyd is recovering at First Health Medical Center in Pinehurst.
hoke county, local/state
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Private plane lands short of Charlotte runway 15 min ago
- More salmonella cases reported in Fayetteville 7 min ago
- Biographer regrets affair with former CIA director 20 min ago
- TSA finds man carrying gun on prosthetic leg 2 min ago
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Family continues to experience miracles 14 min ago
- How safe are North Caroilna bridges?
- Admitting gay boy scouts could have repercussions
- NC State beats Miami 7-1 in ACC tournament
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches