Man killed by train outside Mebane
ORANGE COUNTY, NC (WTVD) -- Officials said a man was struck and killed by a freight train around 5:45 a.m. Wednesday.
It happened in the area of Redman Crossing Road near U.S. 70 between Mebane and Efland.
Deputies said when they arrived they found 34-year-old Andrew Wayne Farrell, III of Burlington had died after being hit by an east-bound Norfolk Southern freight train.
Officials from Norfolk Southern Corporation stated that Farrell was sitting on the tracks as the train approached, the operator sounded the horns and engaged the emergency brakes but Farrell never moved or reacted.
No charges are expected to be filed.
orange county, accident, local/state
- Search for missing swimmer to resume Thursday
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Interactive Hurricane Tracking Map
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- NWS confirms Franklin County tornado
- Wake superintendent named, controversy begins
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini has died
- Former TWA Flight 800 investigators want new probe
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- Stocks slide as Fed says bond purchases could slow
- NC first lady urges Senate action on breeder bill
- UNC-Chapel Hill holds emergency drill
- Suspected meth found near RDU airport
- Wake Forest natural gas leak capped