Man killed by train outside Mebane
ORANGE COUNTY, NC (WTVD) -- Officials said a man was struck and killed by a freight train around 5:45 a.m. Wednesday.
It happened in the area of Redman Crossing Road near U.S. 70 between Mebane and Efland.
Deputies said when they arrived they found 34-year-old Andrew Wayne Farrell, III of Burlington had died after being hit by an east-bound Norfolk Southern freight train.
Officials from Norfolk Southern Corporation stated that Farrell was sitting on the tracks as the train approached, the operator sounded the horns and engaged the emergency brakes but Farrell never moved or reacted.
No charges are expected to be filed.
orange county, accident, local/state
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co.
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine 52 min ago
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police trying to identify Cary rape suspect
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Cool Kids: Molly Paul
29 min ago
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured
47 min ago