Hundreds attend vigil for Sikh shooting victims
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Hundreds of people from all backgrounds held a prayer and candlelight vigil for the victims of the Sikh temple shooting in the Midwest.
Members of the Sikh Gurdwara temple in Durham initially expected a hundred or so people to come in prayer Wednesday evening. However, they were pleasantly surprised to find hundreds more than expected.
People of all faiths and all walks of life came to together in peace and prayer to rise above the hate.
"We have proven the hatred with love and this is the love that you can get that surpasses the hatred he tried to spread," said temple founder Dr. Tejpal Dhillon.
Dhillon is speaking about the Wade Page, the man who gunned down six at a Sikh temple Sunday in Wisconsin.
Sikhs of the Triangle said they are shocked and saddened by the attack on their faith.
"Sikhs have never earned any reason to be attacked and people have ultimately realized what a tremendous stupidity this person did," said Dhillon.
Many are asking the question why.
"I don't know if anyone knows the real reason why someone would do what they did. It solves nothing," said Durham Mayor Bill Bell.
One thing is for certain. A community and nation are mourning together and finding peace and love arising from this tragedy.
durham county, local/state, kelli o'hara
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Woman struck, killed by car in Harnett County
- Son: Graham's health declining
- Wake Forest bank robbery suspect caught
- Motorcyclist killed in Durham County crash 59 min ago
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- High School Football Scores - Playoffs Week 4 57 min ago
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
- Some travel delays at RDU due to storms
20 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help