No arrests made in purse snatching case
ROXBORO, N.C. (WTVD) -- The hunt continues for the man who swiped a woman's purse when she passed out inside the Roxboro Wal-Mart.
Police told ABC11 that they have received some new leads but so far they have made no arrests.
They are also getting more calls from concerned citizens, many willing to open up their own wallets to replace the money that was stolen from 76-year-old Queen Walters.
Walters is recovering from shoulder surgery Thursday, which made the theft of her purse with $300 in cash inside just that more disheartening.
Surveillance video caught the purse snatcher in the act after Walters passed out due to a bad reaction with her medication.
This story has gained national attention and it has people calling ABC11 as well as the police department offering to replace Walters' stolen cash.
Walters' son said his mother is encouraged by the overwhelming generosity.
"I'm glad that the people of North Carolina are showing their support and people all over the world are showing their support for my mother," said Roy Walters. "Hopefully, they'll catch the guy that did it and justice will be served."
If you recognize the man in the video, please call Roxboro police at (336) 599-8345 or Person County Crime Stoppers at (336) 330-0923.
person county, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire 43 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 14 min ago
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- Police: Man who solicited sex from teen charged
- Residents told of arsenic in water
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant 3 min ago
- Community comes together to fight for Maddison
- Pittsburgh beats No. 15 UNC 80-75 24 min ago
- NC Central tops Norfolk St 68-45 34 min ago
- Arrest warrants issued in Gates Four shooting