No arrests made in purse snatching case
ROXBORO, N.C. (WTVD) -- The hunt continues for the man who swiped a woman's purse when she passed out inside the Roxboro Wal-Mart.
Police told ABC11 that they have received some new leads but so far they have made no arrests.
They are also getting more calls from concerned citizens, many willing to open up their own wallets to replace the money that was stolen from 76-year-old Queen Walters.
Walters is recovering from shoulder surgery Thursday, which made the theft of her purse with $300 in cash inside just that more disheartening.
Surveillance video caught the purse snatcher in the act after Walters passed out due to a bad reaction with her medication.
This story has gained national attention and it has people calling ABC11 as well as the police department offering to replace Walters' stolen cash.
Walters' son said his mother is encouraged by the overwhelming generosity.
"I'm glad that the people of North Carolina are showing their support and people all over the world are showing their support for my mother," said Roy Walters. "Hopefully, they'll catch the guy that did it and justice will be served."
If you recognize the man in the video, please call Roxboro police at (336) 599-8345 or Person County Crime Stoppers at (336) 330-0923.
person county, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Burglars nab Raleigh gun store again 2 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- Duke gets funds to develop diverse scientists 41 min ago
- US 321 to remain open during Memorial Day weekend 39 min ago
- NBC's Brian Williams to address Elon Class of '13 36 min ago
- Crews search for missing boater on Cape Fear River
- Private plane lands short of Charlotte runway
- Hit-and-run driver sought in fatal moped crash
- More salmonella cases reported in Fayetteville
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Family continues to experience miracles