Police: Unconscious woman's purse thief caught
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- Police arrested a man Friday who is a suspect in the theft of a purse from a woman who became unconscious at a Walmart store in Roxboro.
On Wednesday, ABC11 first broadcast the surveillance video of the incident that happened August 6.
Roxboro investigators said 76-year-old Queen Walters was riding in a motorized scooter shopping cart because of her health when it happened. Walters is a diabetic and apparently had a bad reaction to some medication she took. The video shows her become disoriented before losing consciousness.
In the video, a man walks by her and then comes back, checks her out while she's passed out, and then looks around before taking her purse.
News of the incident caused a big reaction. People in the community stepped up to donate money to Walters to make up for the money taken with her purse.
Investigators also got tips about the identity of the alleged thief.
On Friday, police spotted a car linked to the suspect near the campus of Duke University. The man got out and ran, but was captured by police near Duke University Road and Towerview Drive.
Police identified him as Kenneth Lamont Vaughan. No word yet on charges.
person county, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Rabies alert in Wake County
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Brees sharp, Saints beat Panthers 31-13
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help