Police: Unconscious woman's purse thief caught
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- Police arrested a man Friday who is a suspect in the theft of a purse from a woman who became unconscious at a Walmart store in Roxboro.
On Wednesday, ABC11 first broadcast the surveillance video of the incident that happened August 6.
Roxboro investigators said 76-year-old Queen Walters was riding in a motorized scooter shopping cart because of her health when it happened. Walters is a diabetic and apparently had a bad reaction to some medication she took. The video shows her become disoriented before losing consciousness.
In the video, a man walks by her and then comes back, checks her out while she's passed out, and then looks around before taking her purse.
News of the incident caused a big reaction. People in the community stepped up to donate money to Walters to make up for the money taken with her purse.
Investigators also got tips about the identity of the alleged thief.
On Friday, police spotted a car linked to the suspect near the campus of Duke University. The man got out and ran, but was captured by police near Duke University Road and Towerview Drive.
Police identified him as Kenneth Lamont Vaughan. No word yet on charges.
person county, local/state
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- High School coach arrested on sex charge 13 min ago
- Two cleared, others charged in murder 36 min ago
- NC House panel looking at public school grant bill
- NC NAACP protests reach highest arrest count yet
- Frightening moments for family with Okla. ties
- Hazmat situation at Raleigh apt. complex
- Police search for shooting suspect
- Man shot in neck in Raleigh
- NC Senate budget plan heavy on Medicaid spending
- Prosecution rests in Abaroa murder trial
- Oklahoma death toll revised to 24 dead
8 min ago
- Request for mistrial in McNeill case denied
11 min ago
- High School coach arrested on sex charge
13 min ago