Morrisville assisted living home erects flagpole
MORRISVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- An employee makes it his mission to get a flag erected outside the assisted living center where he works. It was an effort that was especially important to the 32 U.S. veterans who have been living there.
Roger O'Shields is a Vietnam veteran who served in the Navy for just over 20 years. Now he and his wife Vi live in the Manor Village at Preston in Morrisville. While they say they love it there, they admit that, until now, it's been missing one thing -- a United States flag.
That all changed with a flag raising ceremony that honored O'Shields and 31 other residents who are veterans, including retired General Eugene Bowling.
"Every time I see that flag go up, I get chills in my spine," said Bowling.
The ceremony was filled with moving moments. It was all made possible by an employee who first noticed that these residents needed a flag out front.
"They're just very, very proud people, and rightfully so, and they worked for this," said Maintenance Director Michael Waunsch. "They deserve to have a flag flying over their home."
Waunsch enlisted the help of the U.S. Veterans Corp who in turn got a local company, Developmental Resources, to donate and install the flagpole for free.
The flag that's currently flying at the assisted living center actually flew over the Capitol in Washington D.C. It was donated by Sen. Richard Burr.
And now, that same flag will fly proudly over these veterans from the Vietnam War, the Korean War, and even World War II.
"The flag to me is a very precious piece of cloth," said Navy veteran Claude "Doug" Holland.
"Oh, so meaningful," said O'Shields. "I cannot express what this meant to us as a veteran here in the Manor Village. And to have all these people turn out, it's really meaningful. "
wake county, local/state, caitlin coyner
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 38 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named 56 min ago
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
26 min ago
- Durham Public Schools superintendent resigns
1 min ago
- NCCU new head football coach named
55 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help