Police: Body found in Wilson is Speight
WILSON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Authorities in Wilson confirmed Friday that the body found in a local creek earlier this week is Courtney Speight.The 23-year-old's body was found Wednesday in Contentnea Creek by someone fishing in the area. She was last seen Aug. 11 wearing a shirt given to her by her employer, Sheetz.
Shortly after the body was discovered, Speight's family members said it was her.
"Well, we know that the shirt that they showed us is the shirt that she had on when she was last seen," said a family member.
Speight's family haven't said whether they thought she was murdered, but they are calling for answers.
"I'm just ready to hear what happened," said a family member. "How did she die, and what was the cause of her death."
Authorities said Friday that Speight's cause of death remains undetermined until the autopsy is complete.
The Wilson Police Department is asking anyone with information on the investigation to contact the Wilson Police Department at (252) 399-2323 or Crime Stoppers at (252) 243-2255.
wilson county, local/state
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help