Another assault reported along Tobacco Trail
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Durham police are investigating another assault along the American Tobacco Trail.
Officers were called to the trail around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday after a man said he was attacked.
The victim told authorities he noticed four or five boys between the ages of 12 and 16 years old loitering on the trail between Otis and Fayetteville Streets and ran past them.
He said he continued to run down the trail, but when he turned around the teens assaulted him. Officials said the jogger was able to run home and call police.
Tuesday's latest attack is the sixth reported attack along the popular path since May and the eleventh this year. There have been 24 incidents reported since the beginning of 2011.
Earlier this month, authorities said a group of teens along the American Tobacco Trail hit a jogger on the back of the head.
Hours later, police caught up with a 13 year old believed to be responsible and took him into custody.
Durham police had said they've increased patrols on the trail since May after reports of other assaults, including a man who attacked a female runner in July.
The recent reports of crime on the American Tobacco Trail have also raised concerns about other bike paths in the city.
Just last week, Durham police responded to several car break-ins near the Warren Creek Trail. The trail is not connected to the American Tobacco Trail, but bikers and pedestrians frequent the paved walkway.
The Durham Police Department is urging residents to be aware of their surroundings, do not carry extra cash or valuables, walk in pairs in well-lit areas that are not isolated and call 911 to report any suspicious activity.
Anyone with information about Tuesday's incident is asked to call CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200.
durham county, local/state
- ABC11 food drive makes sure no one goes hungry
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Man struck, killed on I-95 in Selma
- Shearon Harris back in operation 10 min ago
- American University campus lockdown lifted 2 min ago
- Pilot who crashed at SFO worried about landing 51 min ago
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 22 min ago
- Prosecutor: no domestic charges against Zimmerman 21 min ago
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- NC lawmaker charged in state tax case resigns
- Ex-NC State coach pleads guilty to tax charges
- Victim in Durham apartment shooting dies
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help