One killed in officer-involved shooting
GOLDSBORO, N.C. -- Officials said members of the Wayne County Sheriff's Office ACE Team and the Goldsboro Police Department Selective Enforcement Unit were attempting to execute a narcotics search warrant in the 700 block of Slaughter Street Friday night when shots were fired.
It happened around 10 p.m.
Officers returned fire and one man was killed and a second slightly injured.
Investigators said 31-year-old Thomas Austin Jr. was arrested after the shootout and charged with five counts of attempted murder. He was placed in the Wayne County Jail under a $1 million bond. It wasn't known if he had a lawyer. Two others were also arrested, but police have not released their names.
Officials said the State Bureau of Investigation has been called in to look at what happened - as is standard in officer-involved shootings.
The name of the dead man was not immediately released.
wayne county, shooting, local/state
- Winter weather possible for some northern areas
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Don't worry, guacamole safe from climate change
- Airline passenger leaves nasty note for pilot
- Man accused of taking doctor's identity surrenders
- Durham crime numbers show mixed results
- Sinclair to face 15 year sentence, plea offer accepted
- NCCU students take part in Match Madness
- NC terror suspect says he's being tortured
- Man charged in fatal hit-and-run gets lower bond
- Road rage incident leads to gun being shown
- Coach K released from hospital after game
- More evidence presented in Teghan Skiba murder case
- EU slaps initial sanctions on Russia
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help