Cleanup begins in Roanoke Rapids
ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. (WTVD) -- Storm clouds dumped heavy rain on Halifax and Nash Counties Saturday morning, flooding dozens of homes and businesses in Roanoke Rapids and causing some road closures.
Local officials said they'd measured nearly a foot of rain. The deluge forced the Roanoke River and other nearby creeks over their banks.
The National Weather Service reports crews had to rescue several people from the flash flood Saturday morning. No injuries or deaths were reported.
Chaloner Middle School will be closed Monday, which would have been the first day of classes, due to the flooding.
Both lanes of Interstate 95 at Exit 173 were shut down for hours due to the flooding.
Sam Powell Dairy Road is also flooded and closed near Highway 48.
Most of Roanoke Rapids was flooded, including Smith Church Road near Halifax Regional Medical Center, and Massey Funeral Home on Jackson Street and 9th Street. A sinkhole formed on Hamilton and 2nd Streets.
halifax county, nash county, local/state
- Two killed, several injured in Fayetteville crash
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Driver facing charges after passenger injured in accident
- UNC-Chapel Hill to conduct emergency drill
- Hearings begin for Duke Energy's 5 percent hike
- NC Senate takes up energy conservation rollback
- UCLA defeats Wolfpack 2-1 at College World Series
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Wake County Schools names new superintendent
- Southern Pines officer remembered
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Did Wake Co teacher encourage bullying?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos