Cleanup begins in Roanoke Rapids
ROANOKE RAPIDS, N.C. (WTVD) -- Storm clouds dumped heavy rain on Halifax and Nash Counties Saturday morning, flooding dozens of homes and businesses in Roanoke Rapids and causing some road closures.
Local officials said they'd measured nearly a foot of rain. The deluge forced the Roanoke River and other nearby creeks over their banks.
The National Weather Service reports crews had to rescue several people from the flash flood Saturday morning. No injuries or deaths were reported.
Chaloner Middle School will be closed Monday, which would have been the first day of classes, due to the flooding.
Both lanes of Interstate 95 at Exit 173 were shut down for hours due to the flooding.
Sam Powell Dairy Road is also flooded and closed near Highway 48.
Most of Roanoke Rapids was flooded, including Smith Church Road near Halifax Regional Medical Center, and Massey Funeral Home on Jackson Street and 9th Street. A sinkhole formed on Hamilton and 2nd Streets.
halifax county, nash county, local/state
- Target investigating credit card breach
- Will 'Anchorman 2' live up to the hype?
- Photos: Famous deaths in 2013
- Bradley Cooper happy to be sober
- Man shot, collapses at gas station
- Police issue warning on eve of Huerta vigil
- Dog helps doctors monitor child during operation
- Army helicopter crash victim from Triangle
- Ex-boyfriend charged in Durham double murder
- Texas upends No. 14 North Carolina 86-83
- NC State beats Vols 65-58 for sixth straight win
- White House task force urges limit on NSA snooping
- Ferry that ran aground on NC coast still stuck
- Crawleigh could affect school start times
- Local woman helps Obamacare efforts
56 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help