Police investigating robberies of elderly
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The Raleigh Police Department said Friday that a string of robberies involving elderly women and a man could be related, and it's asking for public help.
The cases involve Raleigh, Wake County, and Cary. The law enforcement agencies in each jurisdiction are working together to try and crack the cases.
In each case, the victims were robbed shortly after returning home from running errands, and police suspect they were followed home.
Here are the cases from Raleigh PD:
- At about 10:30 a.m. Sunday, August 12, an 83-year-old female victim returned to her residence in the 1600 block of Glengarry Drive in Cary. A suspect, who was armed with a knife, approached the victim and pushed his way into her residence. He stole the victim’s purse and its contents. The suspect was described as a black male who stands about 5 feet 10 inches tall and has short hair. He was wearing a mask over his face.
- Shortly after noon on Friday, August 17, 2012, a 70-year-old female victim returned to her residence in the 1300 block of Holland Hills Drive in Wake County near Fuquay-Varina. A suspect came into her house behind her and demanded money. He was described as a black male who stands between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet tall and has a thin build. The suspect was thought to be in his late 30s to early 40s and was wearing a white T-shirt, dark-colored pants, a blue bandana on his head, and sunglasses.
- At about 8 p.m. on Monday, August 20, a 96-year-old female victim reported she was approached and grabbed by a suspect outside her residence in the 3400 block of Caldwell Drive in Raleigh. Cash was stolen from the victim. The suspect was described as a male of undetermined race; no additional descriptive information is available.
- At about 7:15 p.m. on Friday, August 24, an 85-year-old female victim reported she entered her home in the 300 block of Meredith Street in Raleigh and was confronted by the suspect when she turned back around. The suspect was armed with a knife, letter opener, or similar weapon. The victim was robbed of cash. The suspect was described as a black male who stands about 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs about 190 pounds. He wore a light-colored head covering and all black clothing.
- At about 5:20 p.m. on Tuesday, August 28, a 77-year-old male victim was forced into his residence in the 600 block of Daniels Street in Raleigh and robbed of cash. The suspect was described as a black male in his 40s who stands about 5 feet 8 inches tall, has a husky build, and weighs about 180 pounds. He was wearing a white shirt, blue jeans, had some type of cap or “net” covering his hair, and was said to have “bad” lower teeth.
In each of the cases, the suspect was last seen fleeing on foot.
Anyone who believes they may know the identity of the suspect or suspects responsible for committing any of the above crimes is asked to contact law enforcement.
Cary - Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Town of Cary Police Department at (919) 469-4012 or Cary Crime Stoppers at (919) 226-CRIM(E). Cary Crime Stoppers pays up to $2,500 for information leading to the arrest or indictment of those responsible for committing certain types of crimes. All calls will be kept confidential at caller's request.
Wake County - Anyone with information about this suspect that will help investigators identify him or locate him should call the Wake County Sheriff's Office at (919) 856-6911.
Raleigh – Anyone with information that might assist the investigation is asked to call Raleigh CrimeStoppers at (919) 834-HELP or to go to the CrimeStoppers Web site at www.raleighcrimestoppers.org for instructions on reporting a tip online or by text message. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for anonymous tips that help solve cases.
wake county, robbery, local/state, alina machado
- Three arrested in murder of north Raleigh mom
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Jury begins deliberating in McNeill trial
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Okla. storms hit close to home for some
- Doctors struggle to save boy's hands 11 min ago
- Arias speaks out about case in jailhouse interview
- Garcia makes fried chicken remark about Tiger
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' - who won season 16?
- Family continues to experience miracles 5 min ago
- Lightning sparks Raleigh apartment fire
- Candidates for Wake superintendent narrowed to 3