Mysterious Roxboro death unsolved
ROXBORO, N.C. (WTVD) -- A lot of people knew Stephen Yarbrough as just "Steve"
"I'd guess you'd call him a somewhat gregarious person. He had a lot of friends," explained Roxboro Police Chief J. Todd Boycher.
Who might have killed such a popular person remains a mystery years after Yarbrough's death. He was found stabbed more than a dozen times in his home in 2007.
The body was partially clothed and the back door was unlocked. Police said it appeared the crime scene had been staged.
"There's not a lot of whodunnits out there. In most cases, there's at least some semblance of a smoking gun, so to speak, and in this case there simply wasn't," Boycher recalled.
Boycher said results on DNA samples and other forensic evidence were inconclusive.
"We've got bits and pieces of DNA that we can trace back to absolute individuals. But [to] then put them there at the exact time the murder occurred is what's proven difficult for us," said the chief.
Boycher said there are numerous "persons of interest" in the case but no suspects.
"Somebody somewhere has heard a critical piece of information that we just haven't heard yet," he offered.
Police have put up a billboard and are offering a $7,000 reward. If you know something that can help, call the Roxboro Police Department CrimeStoppers line at (336) 330-0923.
homicide, person county, local/state
- Enloe High student charged in gun store break-ins
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- 7 hurt, 1 missing in Davidson County boat wreck
- Crews respond to another water rescue on Cape Fear River
- NC troopers to crack down on texting while driving
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem
- Duke beats Cornell to advance to lacrosse final
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- Authorities search for Iowa teen amid rain, wind
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches