Family angry after body found in Durham
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Police are investigating after a body was found Monday afternoon behind a home in the 900 block of Vickers Avenue in Durham.
Family and friends of 26-year-old Bartley Herren fear the body could be their missing loved one. They told ABC11 that Herren was involved a wreck in that area one week ago.
After the accident, they said he ran into some nearby woods and hasn't been heard from since. Loved ones who found the body themselves said Herren would be alive if police had done more.
"I walked down the sidewalk and smelled something and decided to go walk behind that house and walked right up on his body in the back," said Herren's girlfriend, Ryanne Allocca. "Monday, he got into a car accident right here off Morehead and Vickers and got out, ran. He didn't have his insulin for I guess a day and a half almost two days."
Herren's friends believe he went into a state of shock from an insulin deficiency which led him to run away from an accident scene and into the woods.
"Your brain doesn't work correctly when your body goes into ketoacidosis," said Allocca. "He only got as far as two houses and the police never did anything. They never put a search party out. They didn't put any dogs out."
Allocca and about a dozen others searched the area for an entire week before making their discovery without help from law enforcement. Now, they have a beef with the Durham Police Department.
"They should have put something out especially when I did file the missing person's report telling them that he was a diabetic and he did not have his insulin," said Allocca.
"It's despicable. They should have put a Silver Alert out," said Herren's friend, Sarah Falkowski. "Our friend would probably be here."
Despite what friends and family have said, police have not identified the body. Police only said they are investigating the incident as a suspicious death.
Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at (919) 683-1200.
durham county, local/state, fred shropshire
- Temps to plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Durham girl's wish comes true
- Teen arrested in theft of part from Paul Walker crash
- Woman unknowingly tweets husband's fatal car crash
- Woman struck, killed by car in Harnett County
- Son: Graham's health declining
- Wake Forest bank robbery suspect caught
- Motorcyclist killed in Durham County crash
- No. 20 Duke relishes worst-to-first ride
- Xerox calls police before layoffs
- High School Football Scores - Playoffs Week 4
- Hurricanes surge past Sharks
- Raleigh Winterfest 2013-2014
- Icy storm slams Southwest, shuts down North Texas
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help