Dunn couple beaten with shovel
DUNN, N.C. (WTVD) -- Investigators said someone attacked an older couple with a shovel inside their Dunn home. Now, the suspect is on the loose.
"The next thing I know I'm falling on the floor and he hits me again," said Barbara Evans.
Barbara and Herbert Evans were forced to lay helpless on the floor as they were bludgeoned by a metal shovel.
"Neither one of us was able to defend ourselves," said Barbara.
Bruised and bloodied, Herbert was struck multiple times.
"That shovel was hard," said Herbert, "and I remember hearing the ring. The ring of the shovel as it hit me."
The couple said the man was desperately searching for money and pressed them for information on where they were hiding it.
"'If you're lying to me, you know what's going to happen,'" said Barbara recalling what the suspect told her. "I said, 'I'm not lying to you. I have no money.'"
It happened Sunday night after the man quietly entered through the front door and got away apparently empty-handed.
Unfortunately, there's not much of a description as police scour for new leads.
Police called it a random attack in a community home to many senior citizens.
Between the two of them, the Barbara and Herbert have nearly three dozen staples covering the wounds suffered during the attack.
They were released from the hospital Wednesday.
harnett county, local/state, steve dorsey
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Feds shut 52 unsafe bus companies 30 min ago
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral 22 min ago
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor 13 min ago
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- Part of US 64 added to Interstate Highway System
- Lawmaker charged in state tax case out of jail
- Judge: No quick trial on NC voting law changes
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school...
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help