Friends, family remember slain UNC student
WARRENTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Friends and family of Faith Hedgepeth gathered Sunday in her hometown of Warrenton to remember the slain UNC student.
Faith was found dead in her off-campus apartment Friday, in what police have ruled as a homicide.
Faith was a member of the Haliwa-Saponi tribe in Warren County. There are more than 5,000 members of the tribe and many of them gathered Sunday at the Hedgepeth family's home and then for a vigil to remember the slain UNC-Chapel Hill student.
Police have not said how Faith was murdered or if they have identified any suspects, but Faith's family said they have many of their own questions.
"We want to know everything. We want to know why. Why--how could somebody do something like this? How could somebody leave my little sister like that, and do what they did to her?" Faith's brother Chadwick Hedgepeth said.
Faith's father, Roland Hedgepeth, told ABC11 the family has finalized funeral arrangements.
There will be a wake Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. and Faith's funeral will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. Both will take place at Mt. Bethel Baptist Church in Warrenton.
Students and faculty plan to gather Monday evening at UNC-Chapel Hill for another vigil. The Celebration of Life Candlelight Vigil will take place at 8 p.m. in the PIT on campus. Hedgepeth's family, as well as Chancellor Holden Thorp and the Alpha Pi Omega sorority are all scheduled to speak at the memorial.
The Chapel Hill Police has established a tip-line for anyone with information related to this investigation. Anyone with information is urged to call (919) 614-6363. Callers who wish to remain anonymous will be allowed to do so. Individuals may also contact Crime Stoppers at (919) 942-7515. Calls to Crime Stoppers are confidential and anonymous, and the caller may be eligible for a cash reward up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrest.
homicide, unc, local/state
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- Boston Marathon bombing victim returns home to NC 30 min ago
- NC teacher says student hit her during field trip
- Charlotte remembers 1963 desegregation 'eat-in'
- Swift, Bieber, more ready for Billboard Awards
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list
- What do we eat? New food map will tell us
- White House insists Obama was not involved in IRS
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Medical emergency eyed in Va. parade crash
- Ex-Pa. officer once hailed as hero faces charges