Reward money pledged in case of slain UNC student
WARRENTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- As people gathered to say their final goodbyes to Faith Hedgepeth, UNC announced a $25,000 reward for information into her death.
Hedgepeth's funeral was held at Mount Bethel Baptist Church on Richardson Road in Warrenton Wednesday.
Hedgepeth, a 19-year-old UNC sophomore, was found dead in her off-campus apartment last Friday.
Investigators said Hedgepeth was murdered.
Police are desperate for new information. So far, there's been no indication they've identified any suspects.
The UNC-Chapel Hill Board of Trustees is now offering a $25,000 reward through the Chapel Hill- Carrboro-UNC Crime Stoppers program for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for the death of Hedgepeth.
Anyone with information about Hedgepeth's death is urged to call the police department's tip line at (919) 614-6363 or the Chapel Hill- Carrboro-UNC Crime Stoppers at (919) 942-7515.
UNC officials hope more money will mean more information on who killed Hedgepeth.
"We're hoping that this will lead to an arrest and a conviction. That's why we set it at a level that we consider high," said UNC Trustee Sallie Shuping-Russell.
The Haliwa-Saponi Tribe, of which Hedgepeth was a member, and Hawthorne at the View Apartments, where she lived, have also pledged $1,000 each to the Crime Stoppers reward fund.
The Board of Trustees said a similar reward was offered after UNC student Eve Carson was murdered in 2008.
unc, homicide, local/state
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Candidates for Wake superintendent narrowed to 3 44 min ago
- NC attorney general warns of disaster relief scams 40 min ago
- Parents push to get Enloe students back in school 16 min ago
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornadoes
- High School coach arrested on sex charge
- Video: Okla. storms hit close to home for some
- Lightning sparks Raleigh apartment fire
- Video: McCrory weighs in on state budget, protests
- Two cleared, others charged in murder