Goldsboro murder suspects appear in court
GOLDSBORO, N.C. (WTVD) -- Four people have been arrested in connection with the death of 16-year-old Ken McLaurin Jr. - who had been the subject of a North Carolina Amber Alert.
Officials located the remains believed to be that of McLaurin in the Seven Springs area late Saturday morning. The remains will be sent to the North Carolina State Medical Examiner's office in Chapel Hill for analyses and positive identification.
Police said 17-year-old Curtis Etheridge turned himself into police Saturday around 12:30 p.m.
After seeing himself on television Friday evening, 21-year-old Leonard Joyner turned himself in to a Wayne County Sheriff's deputy . Two other suspects, 19-year-old Jerome Butts and 18-year-old Kevin Edward Smith, were also arrested late Friday as well.
All four have been charged with murder and could face the death penalty or life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Following the arrests, a family friend expressed the feelings of the 16-year-old's mother and father.
"On behalf of the Kennedy McLaurin Jr. family, I would like thank you all for your prayers and your support," said April Cox-Hobbs.
On Friday, police searched an area along a dirt road in a farm field near Seven Springs, which is about 20 miles from Bain Street where McLaurin was last seen on Sunday, Sept. 9. Detectives did not locate McLaurin's body at the time, but said they did find evidence from the crime.
Investigators said they were told by witnesses that McLaurin was abducted by three or four men and forced into a car in front of a housing project.
"We can assure the public that this is not gang related nor was it random." said Goldsboro Police Sgt. Dwayne Dean.
All four suspects are being held in the Wayne County Jail without bond. They are scheduled to appear in court Oct. 8.
wayne county, homicide, local/state
- Senate leader at odds with Governor over Dix lease 49 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball 32 min ago
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- Video: 82nd's All American Week Division review 24 min ago
- Senate Republicans moving NC budget to House
- $2B in Okla. tornado damage means hard recover
- Army declares Kelli Bordeaux dead
- Racial Justice Act repeal heard by NC House panel
- NC Senate spending plan given initial OK
- NC State tops Clemson 6-3 in ACC tournament
- NC terror suspect killed in overseas drone strike
- Senate leader at odds with Governor over...
48 min ago
- 82nd's All American Week Division review
24 min ago
- Krzyzewski returning to coach USA Basketball
29 min ago