Search continues for convicted murderer
HALIFAX COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Law enforcement officials are looking for an inmate who escaped while working outside Tillery Correctional Center in Halifax County.
Officials said James Ladd was operating a tractor on a prison farm Sunday morning. The tractor was found abandoned on the farm just before noon Sunday.
The 51 year old is serving three consecutive life sentences in connection with robbery and shooting deaths of two men on a Yadkin County farm in 1981.
"We're following up on any tips we get. I'm not aware of any sightings--no one's put eyes on him today. We've got bloodhounds on the ground. We have had some success today following some tracks, but nothing that stands out so far," North Carolina prison spokesman Keith Acree said.
Officials said Ladd had a history of good behavior while at the minimum security prison.
"Over the years he's shown through his behavior he's earned that privliege. Like I said, until today, we've had no problems with him in minimum custody," Acrees said.
ABC11 found prison system records that show Ladd had seven violations, including a most recent offense in 2010 for unauthorized tobacco use.
Authorities said there is no reason to believe Ladd is armed or has access to a vehicle.
Anyone who has seen Ladd, or has information on his whereabouts, should call local law enforcement or the Tillery Correctional Center at (252) 826-4165. They caution that Ladd should not be approached.
halifax county, local/state
- Time running out to help those in need! 10 min ago
- Woman claws her way out of locked bathroom
- Pope Francis is Time's Person of the Year
- Man arrested in death of SC mayor's brother in law
- Fatal pedestrian accident in Selma 4 min ago
- Wake schools bus shows up hours late
- NC lawmaker charged in state tax case resigns
- Ex-NC State coach pleads guilty to tax charges
- Victim in Durham apartment shooting dies
- Car hits CAT bus, injuries reported
- Mandela ceremony interpreter deemed a 'fake'
- Teachers union files suit challenging school voucher law
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase
- Musical of film 'Bull Durham' to hit the stage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help