Police: alcohol, speed factors in I-40 collision
DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- An accident on I-40 shut down all lanes of westbound traffic for hours Monday morning.
The accident happened just before 4 a.m. on I-40 between Fayetteville Road and Highway 751.
Officials said a Chevrolet Tahoe driven by 24-year-old Nigel Juan Cruz, of Smithfield, rear ended a Saturn Vue. The Tahoe rolled over and came to rest near an exit sign off the right-hand side of the highway. Cruz was ejected from the vehicle.
The driver of the Saturn, 18-year-old Luke Dowling, of Cary, was uninjured.
Cruz was taken to Duke Hospital, where he is listed in critical but stable condition.
Police said speed, alcohol, and careless and reckless driving were all factors in the collision.
All lanes of I-40 Westbound reopened just before 7 a.m.
durham county, i40, accident, local/state
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help