Driver in fatal crash arrested again
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A Raleigh man charged in 2001 for his role in a street racing crash that took the lives of four teenagers has been arrested again.
Chris Petersen, 29, was arrested Saturday and charged with DWI after the North Carolina Highway Patrol stopped him on I-440.
Court records show Petersen's legal problems have continued since the crash in 2001 on I-540.
In that case, Petersen pleaded guilty to four misdemeanor counts of death by vehicle. Investigators said the driver of the other car he was racing lost control, causing the quadruple fatal crash.
He was given probation, but was soon jailed again when police said he was driving while his license was revoked. He was charged in a 2008 hit and run and charged in 2009 with DWI.
The parents of some of the teens killed in the crash a decade ago told ABC11 Monday they can't believe Peterson is in trouble again.
"We'll just continue to pray that he gets help, that someone can stop him and he doesn't hurt anyone including himself," offered Dee Welch/Mother of Jamie Brewer. : "I would very much like to see Chris get himself together and stay out of trouble and, you know, lead a nice, happy, productive life. I do wish that for him."
Petersen is scheduled to be back in court next month to face a judge on the new DWI charge.
wake county, local/state, ed crump
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured 54 min ago
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets 49 min ago
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Gas prices on the rise; still lower than last Easter
- Nurseries, homeowners take steps to protect plants
- Troubleshooter investigates Papa John's dough
- Wake sounds alarm on teacher shortage
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
49 min ago
- Alliance says Raleigh downtown has lot to...
52 min ago