Girl in NC Amber Alert found in South Florida
HALLANDALE BEACH, FLA. (WTVD) -- The father of a North Carolina child at the center of an Amber Alert said she's expected to be home Saturday.
The girl turned up near Miami Wednesday evening with 38-year-old Timothy Newman.
She did not appear to be physically hurt. However, Newman has been accused of having sex with her.
She has been released from a hospital. Authorities said she is being held in a safe house for now.
Newman is being held in the Broward County Jail awaiting extradition to North Carolina.
In court documents, Newman told the FBI that he'd known the girl since she was five years old and began a relationship with the child a few months ago. He said they'd decided to run away together to get married.
amber alert, local/state
- McNeill found guilty of first-degree murder
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Jurors deadlock on Jodi Arias penalty 39 min ago
- Senate Republicans move NC budget to House
- Raleigh names new interim city manager
- Hurricane forecast: Another busy Atlantic season
- Senate leader at odds with Governor over Dix lease
- Abaroa's marriage counselor takes stand
- Police investigate murder-suicide in Durham
- Suspect in Raleigh murder has criminal past
- Cary 9 year old starts Oklahoma fundraiser
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys