Girl in NC Amber Alert found in South Florida
HALLANDALE BEACH, FLA. (WTVD) -- The father of a North Carolina child at the center of an Amber Alert said she's expected to be home Saturday.
The girl turned up near Miami Wednesday evening with 38-year-old Timothy Newman.
She did not appear to be physically hurt. However, Newman has been accused of having sex with her.
She has been released from a hospital. Authorities said she is being held in a safe house for now.
Newman is being held in the Broward County Jail awaiting extradition to North Carolina.
In court documents, Newman told the FBI that he'd known the girl since she was five years old and began a relationship with the child a few months ago. He said they'd decided to run away together to get married.
amber alert, local/state
- Soggy, cool Saturday to start holiday weekend
- Woman narrowly escapes grocery store crash
- Why married women cheat
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- Shedding light on Clinton's health overhaul flop 40 min ago
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 46 min ago
- Asia seeks Obama's assurance in territorial spats
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Sub search for missing jet to be finished in week
- NC woman to climb Kilimanjaro to focus on diabetes
- Cooper asks NC court to intervene in rate increase
- Warehouse fire cause explained
- At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche