Suspect charged in fatal stabbing
SANFORD, N.C. (WTVD) -- One man was arrested in connection with a fatal stabbing that left two others injured in Lee County.
Just before 1:30 a.m., police were called to the intersection of Carthage and Gulf Streets in Sanford. There they found 20-year-old Paul David Johnson Jr., of Sanford, with a stab wound to the back.
Johnson was taken to Central Carolina Hospital, where he later died.
Nineteen-year-old Angel Ann Kersey, of Lillington, and 29-year-old John Mark Legg III, of Sanford, were also injured during the dispute.
Officers arrested 31-year-old Lee Aaron Matthews, of Sanford, around 8: 30 a.m. Monday.
Officials said the altercation started at the Prince Downtown Motel, which is where Matthews resides.
Officials believe Matthews killed Johnson and stabbed Kersey in the chest. He is charged with one count of murder and one count of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. Matthews is being held in the Lee County Jail without bond.
Kersey was taken to Central Carolina Hospital and Legg was transported to UNC Hospital for further treatment. Their conditions are unknown.
lee county, homicide, stabbing, local/state
- Temps plummet, chance of freezing rain Sunday
- Photos: Meet the New Bachelor Contestants
- Photos: Raleigh Winterfest Celebration 2013-2014
- Raleigh police investigate homicide
- Durham hosts Special Olympic bowlers 45 min ago
- Up to 50 vehicles collide in deadly Pennsylvania Turnpike crash 9 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands 4 min ago
- Storm along East Coast dumps snow, snarls traffic 18 min ago
- South Africans pray for Mandela
- Nasty weather hits several NFL games
- In 2nd week, 'Frozen' tops box office with $31.6M
- Panthers, Saints seek control of NFC South race
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Man trapped in empty dark plane cabin at Houston airport
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help