Sheriff: Mother and child kidnapped for robbery
SANFORD, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Harnett County Sheriff's Office said Thursday that a woman and her 12-year-old daughter were kidnapped from their home to take part in a bank heist.
Investigators said the kidnappers apparently targeted the family because Pam Castain worked at the Crescent State Bank in Sanford.
It began around 6:55 a.m. Thursday when the 12 year old returned to the family home in the 3800 block of Hillmon Grove Road near Cameron after walking the family dog.
When the child came inside, two men wearing dark clothing, face masks, and gloves burst in. One of the men had a pistol.
Castain and her daughter were forced into the family's Honda Civic and were driven to the bank at 870 Spring Lane in Sanford.
Pam Castain was told to enter the bank and get cash while her daughter remained in the car with the kidnappers.
No money was taken, and the kidnappers left with Pam's daughter still in the car.
Deputies said they found the car with the girl in the backseat just off Hwy 15/501 at the entrance to Steel and Pipe Corporation in Sanford.
The child was not hurt.
Bobby Castain, the husband and father to the victims, was among the first Pam called.
"She was crying and trying to explain to me what had happened, that she was forced to be taken," said Bobby. "I was in shock, didn't know what to think."
Meanwhile, the FBI and deputies are still searching for the suspects.
Anyone with any information is asked to contact the Harnett County Sheriff's Office at (910) 893-9111.
The North Carolina Bankers Association is offering an award in connection with the attempted bank heist.
harnett county, lee county, bank robbery, kidnapping, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina 19 min ago
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home 12 min ago
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- Orange County among hardest hit by ice storm
16 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
20 min ago
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in Fayetteville...
13 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help