Raleigh teen pleads guilty in fatal crash
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A Raleigh teen pleaded guilty to felony death by motor vehicle and DWI Friday in a drunken driving accident that killed a classmate in January.
Garrett Prince was 16, and a student at Millbrook High School, at the time of the crash.
The Wake County District Attorney's office said Prince's official blood-alcohol level was .17 when he lost control of a 1999 Jeep SUV. The crash killed 17-year-old Elizabeth Molloy. North Carolina law considers a driver legally drunk at .08.
According to a crash report, Prince was going at least 75 miles per hour in a 30 mph residential zone when he lost control in the 6700-block of Rainwater Road in Raleigh Jan. 7 and crashed into a tree.
Prince was hurt, but survived the wreck. The medical examiner's report also said Molloy was legally drunk at the time of her death.
Upon pleading guilty, Prince was taken straight to jail to serve six months. When he's released, he will serve five years of probation.
While on probation, he must return to jail from December 26 to January 8 of each year.
He must also not drive for the first 48 months and drink no alcohol.
He must put in 300 hours of community service, which includes speaking to driver's education classes and high school groups about the dangers of drinking and driving.
Sources told ABC11 that Molloy's family approved the plea agreement.
wake county, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Woman rescued from crashed van
- Durham house damaged by fire
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Man with Down syndrome learns he's...
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Power play lifts Capitals past Carolina, 4-2
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help