Police evacuate 30-40 Garner apartments
GARNER, N.C. (WTVD) -- Police evacuated part of an apartment complex in Garner Sunday following word from another law enforcement agency there might a danger.
"Around 11:30 this morning, we were notified by Harnett County that there may be an explosive device at one of the apartments," explained Lt. Wayne Moore with the Garner Police Department.
About 30-40 units were cleared in the Abberly Place Apartment Homes in the 500 block of Abberly Crest Boulevard. That's near the intersection of I-40 and Highway 70.
Police said they were told the possible explosive device belonged to a man they didn't identify.
"I just know he was involved in some incident with the Harnett County Sheriff's Office," said Moore.
Police gave no information on the man's whereabouts, or his connection the apartment.
Neighbors watched the incident unfold all day.
"The bomb squad came pulling up. The other vehicle came pulling up. Then, they roped it off with tape. Don't know what's going on, and then one officer said they were going to evacuate that building," said resident Randy Stanley.
Other residents said the whole thing was very unusual.
"I'm surprised because you really don't see anything out here. It's a nice neighborhood. You don't see anything like this. I was really shocked to pull up and see all this," said Sandra McDougled.
At about 5:30 p.m., officials said no device was found and they began allowing residents to return to their homes.
wake county, local/state, steve dorsey
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Candidates for Wake superintendent narrowed to 3
- Request for mistrial in McNeill case denied
- Forensic expert reads emails from Janet Abaroa
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' - who won season 16?
- NC attorney general warns of disaster relief scams
- Parents push to get Enloe students back in school
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives
- Michael Jordan: Bobcats changing name to Hornets
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornadoes
- High School coach arrested on sex charge
- Search and rescue efforts continue in...
57 min ago
- Lightning sparks Raleigh apartment fire
54 min ago
- Local man recalls living in Moore, Okla.
55 min ago