Showers and thunderstorms today
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- A cool front approaching from the west will collide with the warm and sticky air streaming northward over central North Carolina today. That will lead to showers and thunderstorms breaking out, especially by the afternoon and continuing into this evening. We could see one or two of those storms approaching severe status.
By late tonight, the front will stall out over the coastal plain and adjacent Atlantic waters, so the chance of rain will diminish somewhat on Wednesday; most of the showers and thunderstorms will remain confined to areas east of the Triangle.
Warm weather is on tap later this week. From Thursday into the weekend, sunshine will be more plentiful and the relative humidity will be lower. However, it will stay a bit warmer than usual for early October since the air mass settling in behind the front will be of Pacific rather than Polar origin.
It looks as though the warm weather will last through Saturday before another front arrives. While the timing of this next front's arrival is somewhat uncertain at this range, it will bring us our next chance for rain. It also appears that a polar sort of air mass will arrive in the wake of the front, driving temperatures back down to or perhaps below seasonal levels starting on Sunday.
local/state, don schwenneker
- Duke Chapel holds Mandela memorial
- Snowball fight could lead to criminal charges
- Airline's sweet surprise for passengers
- One day left to help hungry families through the holidays
- Billy Graham weaker since 95th birthday party
- Shooting reported in Raleigh
- Obama urges world to act on Mandela legacy
- Modest Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- Serial bank robber arrested in Durham
- Bubba the goat is no longer on the lam
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget pact
- Car crashes on Glenwood Avenue during chase
- Walmart, AIG say they plan nearly 700 NC jobs
- Groups shun NC critics, appeal Bonner Bridge case
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help