Dean of NCCU University College arrested in alleged assault
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The dean of University College at North Carolina Central University is facing charges in connection with an alleged assault on a colleague.
ABC11 has learned Ontario Wooden was arrested and charged with assault on a female last Friday.
According to the arrest warrant, the alleged incident happened Sept. 24 on NCCU's campus, but it did not say specifically where on campus.
The warrant stated Wooden "unlawfully and willfully did assault Tarryn L. Simmons, a female person, by grabbing her forearm and shoving her against a cabinet, causing scratches and bruises on the forearm and upper left shoulder."
The school's website lists Simmons as a speech coordinator in the Academic Affairs Department.
Following Wooden's arrest, the 34 year old posted his $2,000 bond and was released from jail. He is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 23.
In a statement released Wednesday, officials at NCCU said they "are aware of the arrest involving Ontario Wooden ... As this is a personnel matter, the university is unable to provide additional comment."
Meanwhile, Wooden's employment status remains unclear. He was named dean of University College at North Carolina Central University in 2011. The College is the campus unit that guides students through their first two years at NCCU, according to the university's website.
Wednesday evening, Wooden's attorney released a statement: "Mr. Wooden intends to enter a plea of not guilty and he looks forward to his day in court when all the facts come out."
- Orange County authorities investigating shooting 10 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63
- NCCU new head football coach named
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help