Dean of NCCU University College arrested in alleged assault
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The dean of University College at North Carolina Central University is facing charges in connection with an alleged assault on a colleague.
ABC11 has learned Ontario Wooden was arrested and charged with assault on a female last Friday.
According to the arrest warrant, the alleged incident happened Sept. 24 on NCCU's campus, but it did not say specifically where on campus.
The warrant stated Wooden "unlawfully and willfully did assault Tarryn L. Simmons, a female person, by grabbing her forearm and shoving her against a cabinet, causing scratches and bruises on the forearm and upper left shoulder."
The school's website lists Simmons as a speech coordinator in the Academic Affairs Department.
Following Wooden's arrest, the 34 year old posted his $2,000 bond and was released from jail. He is scheduled to appear in court Oct. 23.
In a statement released Wednesday, officials at NCCU said they "are aware of the arrest involving Ontario Wooden ... As this is a personnel matter, the university is unable to provide additional comment."
Meanwhile, Wooden's employment status remains unclear. He was named dean of University College at North Carolina Central University in 2011. The College is the campus unit that guides students through their first two years at NCCU, according to the university's website.
Wednesday evening, Wooden's attorney released a statement: "Mr. Wooden intends to enter a plea of not guilty and he looks forward to his day in court when all the facts come out."
- Two killed, several injured in Fayetteville crash
- Get the ABC11 First Alert Weather App
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Driver facing charges after passenger injured in accident
- UNC-Chapel Hill to conduct emergency drill
- Hearings begin for Duke Energy's 5 percent hike
- NC Senate takes up energy conservation rollback
- UCLA defeats Wolfpack 2-1 at College World Series
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Wake County Schools names new superintendent
- Southern Pines officer remembered
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Did Wake Co teacher encourage bullying?
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos