Firefighters rescue dog stuck in drainage pipe
SMITHFIELD, N.C. (WTVD) -- A dog was stuck in a drainage pipe until some persistent residents and the Johnston County Fire Department came to its rescue.
Sharon Eldridge was walking her dog on Flowers Street in Smithfield Saturday night when she heard the dog in distress.
"I was walking my dog Bella here and I heard barking. It was a constant bark that would not let up. It acted like a megaphone towards my house and I got down and spoke to it," Eldridge said.
When she figured out where the noise was coming from, Eldridge said she saw a Great Dane stuck deep in a drainage ditch. She then called 911 and reported the trapped canine.
Police arrived on the scene in Smithfield but told neighbors they couldn't do much to help the dog in need.
Then neighbors called 911 again Sunday morning and demanded answers after the dog stayed trapped overnight.
This time, the 911 dispatcher called the fire department for help. Firefighters were able to spray water into the pipe and free the dog.
"The fire dept came out and they were brilliant in coming up with a way to rescue it," Eldridge said.
The Smithfield Police Department said there was a misunderstanding and they did everything they could, but Animal Control was off duty.
"The officer got down, took off his uniform shirt, his gun belt, and climbed down in the culvert. The dog backed away so he went and purchased dog food thinking the dog would come out," Eldridge said.
The condition of the dog is unknown, but sources told ABC11 it was seriously injured.
johnston county, local/state, kelli o'hara
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Crews search for missing boater on Cape Fear River
- Private plane lands short of Charlotte runway
- Hit-and-run driver sought in fatal moped crash
- Defense wraps after Abaroa's mom's testimony
- Super PAC created for possible Tillis Senate bid
- More salmonella cases reported in Fayetteville
- Biographer regrets affair with former CIA director
- TSA finds man carrying gun on prosthetic leg
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Family continues to experience miracles