DPS: Student brought gun to school
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Officials with Durham Public Schools said a student was arrested on the Hillside High School campus with a gun Monday.
Officials said 18-year-old Kelvin Thomas Owens was arrested around 9 a.m., but never entered the school building.
Prior to the incident, Owens was observed by a sheriff's deputy off campus with a group of other males acting suspiciously. When Owens returned to campus a short time later, he smelled of marijuana and was searched by school administrators and deputies. It was during the search of Owens that deputies found the loaded Hi-Point JHP .45 caliber pistol.
Owens has been charged with possession of a firearm on educational property. He is being held in the Durham County Jail under a $5,000 bond. Owens is also on probation for a Sept. 19 conviction of breaking and entering into a vehicle and larceny.
No one was hurt and school continued uninterrupted during the investigation.
durham county, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help