Police search for Food Lion shooting suspect
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (WTVD) -- Police have arrested one person and are searching for another in connection with a shooting in the parking lot of a Food Lion grocery store Sunday evening.
Police responded to the store in the 900 block of McArthur Road around 6 p.m.
Officials said the victim, 24-year-old Lance Williams, was in his vehicle with two other people when he was shot. After being shot, Williams exited the Chevrolet Caprice and the other two occupants drove off in the car.
Police officers were able to locate the vehicle in the area of Rowan Street. When officers got behind the vehicle, the suspects stopped the car, jumped out, and ran from police.
Police were able to arrest one of the suspects, 20-year-old Malcolm James Merritt. Police are still searching for the second suspect.
The second suspect is described as a black male in his early 20s with a dark skin tone. He is believed to be approximately 5 feet 4 inches tall with short dreadlocks, and was wearing a grey or green hoodie.
Merrit is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury, robbery with a dangerous weapon, possession of a stolen vehicle, conspiracy, and possession of a firearm by a felon. He is being held at the Cumberland County Detention Center on a $215,000 secured bond.
Williams was taken to a local hospital to be treated for his injuries.
Anyone with information is asked to contact CrimeStoppers at (910) 483-TIPS (8477).
cumberland county, shooting, local/state
- Governor declares emergency in North Carolina
- Win a chance to audition for Jeopardy!
- Man to go to trial over Girl Scout cookie purchase
- US employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Veteran robbed, assaulted in home
- Missing Maryland girl found in South Carolina
- Accuser gives sexually explicit, emotional testimony
- Woman injured after jumping from car
- NC Sen. Nesbitt service Tuesday in home county
- River water above NC spill high in iron, aluminum
- I-Team: Congress concerned about VA data breach
- Things to do if you have 36 hours in Raleigh
- Testimony reveals Richardson suffered years of abuse
- Rangers rally past Hurricanes 4-2
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help