Elderly woman attacked, robbed in Dunn
DUNN, N.C. (WTVD) -- An 84-year-old Harnett County woman and her neighbors are angry and scared. Several men forced their way into the woman's home and stole from her.
Investigators are concerned this crime could be connected to a similar one last month.
"I could have cussed them out, but I didn't because I knew it would make them mad," said Mary Spell.
Spell is describing what happened when two people who muscled their way into her home Monday evening. Spell said it started when she answered a knock on her front door.
"She wanted to know where somebody lived, and I didn't understand what she said so I unlocked the door," said Spell.
And as she turned, Spell said two people forced their way inside. One went to her bedroom. Mary heard the crook searching thru her jewelry box while the second person guarded her.
"She said don't scream, don't say anything cause there is somebody out there that's going to kill you," said Spell.
Spell said she started screaming and tried to run out the front door. One of the crooks tackled her to the floor and put a blanket over her face. Seconds later, the two crooks fled and Mary ran to a neighbor who called 911.
The incident has shaken other senior citizens in complex like this woman who did not want to be identified.
"Well, we just all the time look out for each other," said the woman.
Except for a scratch on her cheek, Spell wasn't hurt. Others haven't been that lucky. In September, Barbara and Herbert Evans were attacked and badly beaten in their home not far from Spell's apartment.
Spell said she learned a lesson and warns others not to be so willing to open her door to strangers.
harnett county, robbery, local/state, greg barnes
- Child killed in Johnston County crash 47 min ago
- Parents on smartphones ignore their kids, study finds
- Construction halted on controversial Raleigh home
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham Park project 42 min ago
- Students describe aftermath of Ukrainian riots
- Raleigh shooting under investigation 33 min ago
- Judge: influence may have tainted Sinclair trial
- Dentist tells jurors he prayed child would die
- Elderly couple beaten, robbed in home
- Boaters rescued on Cape Fear River
- Stranded climber rescued from NC mountain
- Exercise highlights 440th Airlift Wing's importance
- Parts of Triangle still paralyzed by weather damage
- Child killed in Johnston County crash
47 min ago
- 2 shot in Gates Four community
45 min ago
- Some recommendations approved for Chatham...
42 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help