Sheriff: Teen raped, shot, left in river
LILLINGTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Two men face charges in the alleged rape and shooting of a 17-year-old girl.
Harnett County Sheriff Larry Rollins said the teen was found in the Cape Fear River near the North Carolina Highway 217 bridge just before 4 a.m. Sunday.
"They had abducted her from her house where she was babysitting her 3-year-old sister. From there we understand now she was taken to the river where she was sexually assaulted. After the sexual assault had taken place, she was shot three times," Rollins said.
Officials said the victim suffered gunshot wounds to the face, abdomen, and hand. She was taken to Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital in Dunn and then airlifted to UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill.
Rollins said his detectives have made two arrests in the case.
Jose Trinidad Soto Sanchez, 21, and Jose Juan Alverez, 28, both of Spring Lake, are charged with first-degree rape, first-degree kidnapping, and attempted murder.
Bond for both men was set at $1 million.
Rollins said the victim knew one of the suspects through her family.
The sheriff also said Alverez is in the country illegally from Mexico. Deputies are working to determine the alien status of Sanchez.
harnett county, shooting, sex offense, local/state
- Enloe High student charged in gun store break-ins
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- 7 hurt, 1 missing in Davidson County boat wreck
- Crews respond to another water rescue on Cape Fear River
- NC troopers to crack down on texting while driving
- Bear struck and killed on I-40 near Winston-Salem
- Duke beats Cornell to advance to lacrosse final
- Thousands of bridges at risk of freak collapse
- Authorities search for Iowa teen amid rain, wind
- Graduates in tornado-raked Okla. town vow to stay
- Deputies find moonshine, still in Thomasville home
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches