Sheriff: Teen raped, shot, left in river
LILLINGTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Two men face charges in the alleged rape and shooting of a 17-year-old girl.
Harnett County Sheriff Larry Rollins said the teen was found in the Cape Fear River near the North Carolina Highway 217 bridge just before 4 a.m. Sunday.
"They had abducted her from her house where she was babysitting her 3-year-old sister. From there we understand now she was taken to the river where she was sexually assaulted. After the sexual assault had taken place, she was shot three times," Rollins said.
Officials said the victim suffered gunshot wounds to the face, abdomen, and hand. She was taken to Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital in Dunn and then airlifted to UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill.
Rollins said his detectives have made two arrests in the case.
Jose Trinidad Soto Sanchez, 21, and Jose Juan Alverez, 28, both of Spring Lake, are charged with first-degree rape, first-degree kidnapping, and attempted murder.
Bond for both men was set at $1 million.
Rollins said the victim knew one of the suspects through her family.
The sheriff also said Alverez is in the country illegally from Mexico. Deputies are working to determine the alien status of Sanchez.
harnett county, shooting, sex offense, local/state
- Judge rules against teacher tenure state law
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
- Photos: 'That happened how?' Bizarre mix-ups
- Man seeks to hide 'murder' tattoo before trial
- War widow, children set to move into new home
- Man killed by tractor in Johnston County
- Teen bicyclist hit by car in Johnston County
- Proposed penalties in NC Fair accident announced
- I-Team: Family says deputy hit child on bike
- Fort Bragg sex assault reporting increases as center opens
- Wake teacher pay raise could require tax increase
- Raleigh police seek 'Bearded Bandit'
- Protestors demand state leaders expand Medicaid
- Video: I-Team: Who pays coal ash cleanup cost?