Sheriff: Teen raped, shot, left in river
LILLINGTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Two men face charges in the alleged rape and shooting of a 17-year-old girl.
Harnett County Sheriff Larry Rollins said the teen was found in the Cape Fear River near the North Carolina Highway 217 bridge just before 4 a.m. Sunday.
"They had abducted her from her house where she was babysitting her 3-year-old sister. From there we understand now she was taken to the river where she was sexually assaulted. After the sexual assault had taken place, she was shot three times," Rollins said.
Officials said the victim suffered gunshot wounds to the face, abdomen, and hand. She was taken to Betsy Johnson Memorial Hospital in Dunn and then airlifted to UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill.
Rollins said his detectives have made two arrests in the case.
Jose Trinidad Soto Sanchez, 21, and Jose Juan Alverez, 28, both of Spring Lake, are charged with first-degree rape, first-degree kidnapping, and attempted murder.
Bond for both men was set at $1 million.
Rollins said the victim knew one of the suspects through her family.
The sheriff also said Alverez is in the country illegally from Mexico. Deputies are working to determine the alien status of Sanchez.
harnett county, shooting, sex offense, local/state
- Teacher resignations up significantly in Wake Co.
- Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1
- Easter butter lamb gets 'pardon' at Buffalo market
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Pres. Obama shows skepticism on Russia in Ukraine 54 min ago
- Cooper, other lawyers resolve NC defamation case
- Police trying to identify Cary rape suspect
- Police: Antiques store used to sell meth
- Jabari Parker leaving Duke
- Photos: Outer Banks store burns
- Gov. Pat McCrory proposes help for vets
- Man shot outside Fayetteville grocery store
- Former teacher faces charges
- Big rig crashes through front of pharmacy
- Cool Kids: Molly Paul
31 min ago
- Suspect in Wake Forest kidnapping captured
49 min ago