Funeral held for fallen Moore County soldier
ABERDEEN, N.C. (WTVD) -- A 25-year-old Fort Bragg soldier killed last weekend in Afghanistan was laid to rest Monday afternoon.
Staff Sgt. Justin Marquez was killed after taking small arms fire in the Wardak Province.
The Aberdeen native, who graduated from Pinecrest High School in Southern Pines, was on his first deployment.
Justin's parents said their son knew his mission.
"He really became anti-Taliban. He had serious issues with that and I respect that," said Justin's father, Mark Marquez.
The Marquezs said they are like many other parents
"Over 2,000 people have lost sons and daughters in this war," said Terry. "And we just hope we can find some way to end it at some point in time, and get some peace."
fort bragg, moore county, local/state
- Funeral held for North Hills murder victim
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- ABC11_WTVD is on Twitter
- ABC11's Gas Buddy: Find the cheapest gas
- North Carolina Senate rolls out budget plan
- Photos: Raleigh's Artsplosure
- 4 year old injured in Durham hit-and-run
- Small Fla. city wonders who won Powerball jackpot
- Boston Marathon bombing victim returns home to NC
- Body of missing Ohio man pulled from NC waters
- NC teacher says student hit her during field trip
- Charlotte remembers 1963 desegregation 'eat-in'
- Swift, Bieber, more ready for Billboard Awards
- OJ Simpson lawyers say he is closer to freedom
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos