Funeral held for fallen Moore County soldier
ABERDEEN, N.C. (WTVD) -- A 25-year-old Fort Bragg soldier killed last weekend in Afghanistan was laid to rest Monday afternoon.
Staff Sgt. Justin Marquez was killed after taking small arms fire in the Wardak Province.
The Aberdeen native, who graduated from Pinecrest High School in Southern Pines, was on his first deployment.
Justin's parents said their son knew his mission.
"He really became anti-Taliban. He had serious issues with that and I respect that," said Justin's father, Mark Marquez.
The Marquezs said they are like many other parents
"Over 2,000 people have lost sons and daughters in this war," said Terry. "And we just hope we can find some way to end it at some point in time, and get some peace."
fort bragg, moore county, local/state
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh 33 min ago
- Woman finds lizard head, arm in her salad
- Army reservist, mom to hike Appalachian Trail
- ABC11 channel changes
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Woman found unconscious behind the wheel in Durham
- Power knocked out to hundreds after car hits power pole
- Sheriff: Wendell couple killed in murder-suicide
- Crews battle large apartment complex fire
- Duke senior killed in Florida crash
- Sinclair trial to resume Monday at Fort Bragg
- Girl allegedly begged Richardson not to hurt her
- Three schools consolidated into one at Ft. Bragg
- I-Team investigates coal ash ponds on Cape Fear River