Teen faces charges in student's death
APEX, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Apex Police Department said Tuesday that a 17-year-old has been arrested in an apparent drug overdose that claimed the life of an Apex High School student.
Investigators said 17-year-old Timothy Castaneda was partying with friends and had used LSD behind the Beaver Creek Cinema on Oct. 6 when he collapsed.
He was rushed to the hospital where he later died.
During the investigation, police got a search warrant for the home of Ryan Laches, 17, of Double Springs Ct, Apex.
Laches - a senior at Apex High - was charged with two counts of selling a schedule 1 controlled substance (LSD) to Castaneda. He was also arrested on a marijuana charge in March and is already in a court-ordered drug education program.
The case has been presented to the Wake County District Attorney's Office and is currently under review. More charges could be filed.
A visitation for Castaneda will be held Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Apex Funeral Home. A funeral mass for the teen is scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday at St. Andrew's Catholic Church in Apex.
wake county, local/state
- Winter weather advisory for northern counties 12 min ago
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- Cavs join Gators, 'Cats, Shockers as No. 1 seeds
- NCCU will be part of March Madness 38 min ago
- Video: NC State headed to NCAA tournament
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state 45 min ago
- Plane search expands from Australia to Kazakhstan 48 min ago
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Man shot, killed at Willow Spring bar
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash