Teen faces charges in student's death
APEX, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Apex Police Department said Tuesday that a 17-year-old has been arrested in an apparent drug overdose that claimed the life of an Apex High School student.
Investigators said 17-year-old Timothy Castaneda was partying with friends and had used LSD behind the Beaver Creek Cinema on Oct. 6 when he collapsed.
He was rushed to the hospital where he later died.
During the investigation, police got a search warrant for the home of Ryan Laches, 17, of Double Springs Ct, Apex.
Laches - a senior at Apex High - was charged with two counts of selling a schedule 1 controlled substance (LSD) to Castaneda. He was also arrested on a marijuana charge in March and is already in a court-ordered drug education program.
The case has been presented to the Wake County District Attorney's Office and is currently under review. More charges could be filed.
A visitation for Castaneda will be held Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Apex Funeral Home. A funeral mass for the teen is scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday at St. Andrew's Catholic Church in Apex.
wake county, local/state
- Family, police at odds over Huerta vigil violence 15 min ago
- One dead, one hurt in Carrboro shooting
- 'Duck Dynasty' family calls show's future into question
- Flight delayed 2 hours for pilot's sandwich delivery
- Critical spacewalk set for Saturday
- Senate leader Harry Reid released from hospital
- Utah Attorney General to challenge end to gay marriage ban
- P.J. Hairston off the team at UNC
- Fury and frustration over Target data breach
- Photos: What do you do if you shopped at Target?
- Lawmakers get legal help with NC marriage case
- Community rallies around couple after fire
- Foul weather threatens to snarl holiday travel
- Newlyweds ordered to trial in Craigslist slaying
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help