Deputy charged with rape
CLINTON, N.C. (WTVD) -- The Sampson County Sheriff's Office said Thursday that one of its former deputies is accused of sexual assault.
Richard Matthew West, 30, of Clinton, is charged with statutory rape, second-degree rape, indecent liberties with a minor, and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Bond was set at $250,000.
The assault was reported on April 23, 2011, and allegedly occurred while West was off duty.
In a news release, the sheriff's office said he was "separated from employment" on April 25, 2011 following a preliminary investigation.
The case was then turned over to the State Bureau of Investigation to avoid any potential conflict of interest. The SBI apparently worked on the investigation for over a year.
West was originally hired by the Sampson County Sheriff's Office in September, 2009. Prior to the sexual assault allegation he did not have any disciplinary history.
sampson county, sex offense, local/state
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday protests 29 min ago
- 'Tipsforjesus' leaving thousands in tips
- Does bathing in vitamin C water improve health?
- Family says Nelson Mandela on 'deathbed'
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college 34 min ago
- Fayetteville bank robber sought
- Tata blames environmentalists for bridge woes
- NC has fewer teachers and more students
- UNC upsets No. 1 Michigan State 4 min ago
- NC State beats Northwestern 69-48
- Float banned from Clayton Christmas parade 54 min ago
- Autopsy: Actor died from impact, fire in crash
- Student arrested with loaded gun at Durham high school
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Barber, 11 others guilty in Moral Monday...
28 min ago
- 2 dead, 1 wounded in shooting near NC college
32 min ago
- Some daytime Crawleigh work delayed
10 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help