All eyes on Sandy at Emergency Management Center
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- State officials in emergency management are bracing for a long night dealing with Hurricane Sandy.
So far, the updates from across the state show the affected counties faring pretty well through sandy. Of the 40 counties under a state of emergency, none are reporting any major issues.
Sunday morning, only about 20 people were in county shelters because of the storm. As of this Sunday evening, all but five had returned home.
There are still some isolated power outages along the coast. Also, a small group of fisherman has been forced to shelter in place on Portsmouth Island because they couldn't evacuate in time.
"So we think things are in good shape for the time being, but the wind's still gonna blow and we're gonna have a bad storm overnight and into tomorrow," said North Carolina Emergency Management Doug Hoell. "Then we'll have the potential for snow in the western part of the state."
Emergency responders are standing by in the Triangle if needed. Seventy-five national guardsmen are pre-positioned around the state.
Officials are not expected to give the all-clear across the state until Tuesday.
wake county, local/state, joel brown
- Neighborhood blocked off, police search for suspect
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Thousands left in the dark due to outage
- Oakwood home causing neighborhood divide
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Family displaced in Fayetteville house fire
- Dad of teen charged with grandmother's murder speaks out
- Suspect arrested in Sanford man's death
- Police seek security balance for Boston Marathon
- Ex-Christie aides: Withdraw traffic jam subpoenas
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- No consensus on how to notify data breach victims
- North Carolina deciding again on film break future
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help