One dead, two hurt in head-on collision
SELMA, N.C. (WTVD) -- A high speed head-on collision has now claimed one life, police said
It happened in the 5000 block of NC 96 around 7:00 P.M. Saturday.
Investigators said 30-year-old William Wiggins of Middlesex was traveling at around 85 miles per hour on NC 96 when he hit a minivan head-on.
Police said Wiggins was transported to the hospital, but later died from his injuries.
Both the driver of the minivan, 77-year-old Dan Strickland and his wife 77-year-old Barbara Strickland were hospitalized.
Betty has since been treated and released while Dan remains in stable condition.
Authorities said not only was Wiggins not wearing his seatbelt, but alcohol and speed were also factors in the crash.
johnston county, local/state
- Photos: Oklahoma tornado aftermath
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- High School coach arrested on sex charge 51 min ago
- Two cleared, others charged in murder
- Kieran Shanahan on leave from law firm 59 min ago
- Good Samaritan law intended to save lives
- North Carolina schools prepare for tornados 25 min ago
- NC House panel looking at public school grant bill
- AP Source: Jordan changing team name to Hornets
- NC NAACP protests reach highest arrest count yet
- Frightening moments for family with Okla. ties
- Hazmat situation at Raleigh apt. complex
- Forensic expert reads emails from Janet...
30 min ago
- New technology helps teen regain use of arms
6 min ago
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to Help
30 min ago