Police: 13 year old shot by teen relative dies
DURHAM (WTVD) -- The Durham Police Department is investigating a shooting that killed a 13-year-old girl.
It happened around 6 p.m. Thursday in the 1900 block of Faucette Avenue.
When officers arrived, they arrested a 15-year-old boy and charged him with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury. Authorities said those charges will be upgraded after the girl's death.
The boy is currently in a Wake County juvenile facility.
The girl, later identified as Emily Lopez, was taken to Duke University Hospital with critical injuries. She died early Monday morning at the hospital.
According to police, Lopez and the unidentified 15 year old were related and lived in the same house where the shooting happened.
Investigators are still trying to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.
durham county, shooting, local/state
- AAA Carolinas expects more travel on Memorial Day 38 min ago
- First Alert Doppler XP
- LIVE North Carolina Weather Radar
- Like ABC11 on Facebook
- Private plane lands short of Charlotte runway 56 min ago
- More salmonella cases reported in Fayetteville 48 min ago
- Biographer regrets affair with former CIA director
- TSA finds man carrying gun on prosthetic leg 43 min ago
- Toronto mayor denies he smokes crack cocaine
- Family continues to experience miracles 55 min ago
- How safe are North Caroilna bridges?
- Admitting gay boy scouts could have repercussions
- NC State beats Miami 7-1 in ACC tournament
- NY's Main Beach tops annual survey of best beaches