Quail Ridge Books up for sale
RALEIGH (WTVD) -- The owner of a popular Raleigh bookstore is closing the book on a chapter of her life.
The Quail Ridge bookstore, which has been in Raleigh for 28 years, is now on the market. It's weathered the great recession, and digital revolution.
Nancy Olson has always been there to help customers, and, for nearly three decades, she said it's been her pleasure.
"It's been so satisfying, so fulfilling, so wonderful," said Olson. "I never felt like it was a drag, or too burdensome."
Olson said she and her husband want to spend their retirement traveling and being with family. For many, it's the end of an era.
"I'm very sad. I'm very worried," said customer Jan Healy. "Hopefully, whoever buys it will continue the tradition that Nancy started and continued throughout the years she's been here."
The independent bookstore has put out the welcome mat for North Carolina authors, and American politicians and novelists. It's what's helped keep the small business alive in a sea of big box stores and Amazon.
In a digital world of E-Readers and iPads, customers said they're still a market for an independent bookstore.
"To have people who actually know books, and actually know what to bring in, and know how to arrange them, and know how to present it," said customer John Lasseter. "There's no way you can ever reproduce that on the net or in big box stores."
Olson said the story of her bookstore, remains hopeful, but just at the hands of a new author. Olson said she will not sell her store to a chain. She also wouldn't disclose her asking price.
wake county, local/state, steve dorsey
- Vigil for Jesus Huerta takes violent turn 3 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' star on hiatus after anti-gay comments
- Photos: Clinton is Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating
- Whole Foods will stop selling Chobani
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Target security breach affects up to 40M cards
- FAA reveals what caused Southwest flight to plummet
- 30 injured as bus overturns on California freeway
- No. 8 Duke beats UCLA 80-63 18 min ago
- NCCU new head football coach named 5 min ago
- NC ferry towed from sandbar after running aground
- Camp director facing child porn charges
- Troxler endorses Tillis for Senate primary in NC
- Trial for Army general facing sex charges delayed
- NCCU new head football coach named
4 min ago
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help