Former Duke student sentenced for fatal DWI
DURHAM (WTVD) -- Duke students packed into a Durham County courtroom Friday to support a former student charged with a deadly crash. The crash happened last year and left another Duke student, 21-year-old Matthew Grape, dead.
Lee Royster, a former Duke student, pleaded guilty to felony DWI in connection with the fatal crash that killed Grape last September.
Grape, a rising senior, was a passenger in Royster's car. His mother was in court talking about the dangers of drunk driving.
"I think what they have learned is that this can happen to anyone, at anytime," said Linda Grape. "Life is very fragile. Life is not fair. Our losing our beloved child is so unfair. It's so not right."
Royster left Duke University earlier this year.
He will serve five months in prison before 60 months of supervised probation.
As part of his sentence, the judge has ordered him to speak to other college-aged students about the dangers of drinking and driving.
durham county, accident, local/state, tamara gibbs
- Residents gather signatures to protest Publix store
- Photos: The Golden Globe nominees
- 5 year old surprises deaf parents at school holiday concert
- Texas teen who killed four in crash sentenced to probation
- Jailer to serve 90 days behind bars
- Feds shut 52 unsafe bus companies
- Some from Newtown join vigil at National Cathedral
- NKorea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle as a traitor
- Bank robbery suspect sought in Fayetteville
- McCrory: Raleigh buildings are 'ugly as the dickens'
- Rash of shootings have Sanford on edge
- Bowl president: 'No doubt' about No. 22 Duke
- Pool parasite sickens high school swimmers
- McCrory lights State Capitol Christmas tree
- abc11.com home
- Site Map
- Advertise with Us
- Contact Us
- Online Public Inspection File
- Technical Help