Sheriff: Police chief knocked unconscious
CAMERON, N.C. (WTVD) -- Moore County Sheriff Lane Carter said Monday morning that his deputies have made an arrest after Cameron Police Chief Gary McDonald was knocked unconscious in an assault.
Carter said the incident happened November 15.
McDonald was out on patrol when he checked on a car parked on Carthage Street. Lane said one of the car's occupants assaulted McDonald and then fled on foot.
The next day, Moore County detectives and Lee County deputies arrested 31-year-old Jason Roy Brazell of Hawkins Avenue, Sanford.
He's charged with felony assault on a law enforcement officer and resisting arrest.
Brazell was in the Moore County Detention Center under a $12,000 bond.
moore county, local/state
- Winter weather advisory issued for northern counties
- Match Madness challenge: A chance to save a life!
- St. Patrick's Day Parade draws huge crowds
- Photos: Raleigh's St. Patrick's Day Festival
- No. 6 UVa tops No. 7 Duke 72-63 for ACC title
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- US rejects Crimea vote, cites Russian intimidation
- Church services remember those lost in NYC blast
- Newtown struggles to meet mental health demand
- NC to check Fayetteville police chief credentials
- Former student fires BB gun inside high school
- Duke University senior killed in Florida crash
- Man shot, killed in northeast Raleigh
- N.C. Central beats Morgan St. for MEAC title